Something I hear people say often is that they don’t have enough time to workout and prepare meals ahead of time. I get it. Life is hectic and it never seems like there are enough hours in the day. But whether you work long hours, have kids with demanding schedules, or just find it too overwhelming, it’s still possible to maintain a well balanced diet and fitness routine. One simple way I like to do this is by incorporating sports nutrition products. Sports nutrition supplements can be beneficial in any exercise program whether you’re a beginner or more advanced.
We all know eating a well balanced diet in addition to daily exercise is what keeps us healthy and fit. But as a fitness professional I’m here to tell you that you DON’T have to live in the gym to see results. Do you need to exercise? Yes. Do you need to eat well? Yes. Do you need to spend every extra spare minute of your time working out? Absolutely not.
While working out is a major part of being fit and healthy, eating properly and supplying our bodies with proper nutrition is equally as important. So, today I want to share with you 5 ways you can be savvy about using sports nutrition products.
How To Be Savvy About Using Sports Nutrition Products
We all know that getting enough sleep, eating leafy greens and vegetables and drinking enough water is key to optimal health. But something that many don’t know is that sports nutrition dietary supplements can play a beneficial role in your exercise and health regimen. (But keep this in mind: dietary supplements are not intended to have the same immediate or dramatic effects that you would expect from taking a drug. Labels that sound too good to be true, probably are.)
I’ve personally been a sports nutrition product user for years! Whether it be the protein shakes I drink pre and post workout or the energy bars I snack on in between meals these products help me get through all my days. However, there are a few key things to note when purchasing these products and I’m going to share them with you below.
Here are my tips on how you can be savvy using sports nutrition products:
- Sports Nutrition Products can help you achieve your fitness goals but steer clear of illegal products containing SARMs. Selective Androgen Receptor Modulators (SARMs) are dangerous and illegal, and have been found in a number of adulterated products masquerading as “dietary supplements.” SARMs are unapproved drugs, not dietary supplements. An easy way to avoid them? ALWAYS read your nutrition labels.
- Choose a protein bar with HIGH quality protein (milk and whey) as well as low sugar. You’d be surprised if you looked at the nutrition label on some of the most popular “protein” bars. I’ve seen some with up to 30 grams of sugar! Not only are added sugars unnecessary they’re also empty calories with ZERO nutritional benefit.
- Adding Protein shakes into your post workout routine will help aid in muscle growth AND recovery. But if it’s body-building you’re interested in, don’t expect dramatic or instantaneous effects from supplements alone—look for modest effects over a longer period of time. Body changes don’t happen overnight whether you’re using sports nutrition products or not. Be patient and consistent, results will follow.
- Don’t look to dietary supplements for quick fixes or to replace a healthy, nutritious diet. Dietary supplements can play an important role in good health, but they are meant as supplements to other healthy habits and should be used in combination with other smart lifestyle choices. Dietary supplements cannot make you superhuman.
- Steer clear of products containing the words “ostarine” and “andarine” otherwise known as SARMs. We all know that food labels can be confusing and sports nutrition products are no different. Educate yourself on the ingredients of products before purchasing.
Shopping for and purchasing your sports nutrition products shouldn’t be any different then your food shopping.
You should always know what ingredients are in your food and be wary of labels that contain words you can’t pronounce, don’t understand or have never heard of before. The goal is to fuel your body with the best ingredients possible.
While sports nutrition products can provide tremendous support to a healthy well balanced diet it’s important to remember that the quality of the ingredients is just as important as the nutritional content.
You never want to choose a product with SARMs over a product without just to save a few calories. SARMs pose a risk to all consumers, including athletes, and should be avoided, as they can result in potentially life-threatening consequences.
Sports nutrition dietary supplements can play a beneficial role in any health and fitness routine. Just remember, slow and steady always wins the race and when it comes to health and fitness this is especially true! Being patient and consistent is what will get you where you want to be.
I’m happy to answer any fitness related questions you may have so feel free to drop a comment or shoot me an email at email@example.com.
Looking for more Health & Fitness Posts/Workouts? Check here.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.