This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #NatureMadePrenatalDHA #CollectiveBias
5 Tips For A Healthy Pregnancy + Smoothie Recipe
Having a healthy pregnancy is something everyone wants but not all know how to obtain. But the truth is it’s not much different then staying healthy in your every day life. Unless you have a special circumstance or pregnancy issue you likely just need to continue with your current every day habits…assuming you live a relatively healthy lifestyle.
Now that I’ve done this 3 times I feel like I’ve got a pretty good idea of how to stay healthy during pregnancy. Of course, each pregnancy comes with its own challenges however, you can always just modify to fit those needs!
As a fitness professional I love staying fit and strong all year long whether pregnant or not. So today I want to share with you my top 5 tips for a healthy pregnancy.
5 Tips For A Healthy Pregnancy
- Take Prenatal Vitamins – With this being my third pregnancy I’m no stranger to how important prenatal vitamins are. Since trying to conceive with our first 6 years ago (You should start taking a prenatal 6 months before you start trying to get pregnant!) I’ve been taking Nature Made® Prenatal Multi + DHA (200mg) 150ct. softgels from Sam’s Club. It’s clinically proven absorption of folic acid and iron, one per day dosage and easy-to-swallow soft gels are perfect for my lifestyle. I’ve seen others that have to be taken more then once per day and honestly…ain’t nobody got time for that. With 2 young kids and pregnancy brain in full affect I can barely remember to brush my teeth in the morning.Nature Made® Prenatal Multi + DHA (200mg) 150ct. soft gels are also free from the following:
No Synthetic Dyes
No Yeast or Starch
No Artificial Flavors
It also has a clinically proven absorption of Folic Acid and Iron. Folic Acid is an important B Vitamin for Women of Childbearing Age and Pregnant Women – It plays a critical role in the proper development of the baby’s nervous system.†
At Sam’s Club they have a 5 month supply of Nature Made® Prenatal Multi + DHA (200mg) 150ct. softgels so we went this weekend to stock up. The kids actually love to go because they love the “free samples”! It’s funny because whenever we go to a “regular” food store they (loudly) ask where all the free samples are LOL.
Sam’s Club offers the best value of the Nature Made® Prenatal Multi + DHA (200mg) 150ct. softgels I’ve seen plus they have so many other great baby products you need to stock up on as a new mom. I could go crazy in there but I try to stick to the necessities. Keyword: try 🙂
Some Benefits of choosing Nature Made® Prenatal Multi + DHA (200mg) 150ct. soft gels
- Provides essential vitamins and minerals (before and during pregnancy) including Folic Acid, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Iodine, Vitamin B12, and Vitamin D3†
- Provides 200mg DHA which may help support fetal brain and eye development †
- Nature Made® is the #1 Pharmacist recommended vitamin and supplement brand*
- Eat well – Of course we should be doing this daily anyway but once you become pregnant it’s even more important to do so! Eating enough fruits, vegetables, whole grains, protein, etc. helps to ensure your growing baby is getting all the nutrients he/she needs. Eating well will also help ward off excess weight-gain throughout your pregnancy, win-win! In addition to eating the right foods you also want to make sure to drink enough water to keep from getting dehydrated (which can cause contractions later in pregnancy). Drinking enough water can also help with headaches, fatigue, swelling and constipation which are all normal occurrences during pregnancy.
Craving certain foods during pregnancy isn’t uncommon. Some crave sweets, others crave salt and sometimes people crave things one would never dream of like pulled pork on vanilla ice cream…. eww.
If you happen to get a sweet tooth while pregnant it’s of course ok to indulge in moderation. However, eating an entire carton of ice cream in one sitting isn’t exactly moderation 🙂 Here’s an EASY morning smoothie I love to make when I’m craving something sweet! Bonus: the kids love it, too AND you can find most of these ingredients at Sam’s Club!
Healthy Pregnancy Smoothie Recipe
- 1 Cup Liquid of Choice : Milk, Almond Milk, Water, etc.
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 5-6 Ice Cubes
- 1 Banana (I like mine frozen – it makes the smoothie thicker!)
- 2 Tablespoona Peanut Butter, Almond Butter or Sun Butter
- 2 tablespoons Cacao Powder
- (Optional) 1 scoop of protein powder if you’re heading to the gym or even post-workout!
Combine all ingredients and blend in blender for 30 seconds. VOILA! You have a delicious smoothie packed with pectin and prebiotics (banana), magnesium, calcium, iron (cacao powder), B-12, potassium (greek yogurt) and many other great nutrients and it is soooo yummy! It seriously doesn’t get any easier!
- Exercise regularly – First let me start by saying you should always check with your Doctor before beginning any exercise program. However, if you’re newly pregnant and were regularly working out before conceiving chances are your Doctor will not only give you the go ahead to continue with your routine but he/she will likely encourage it!
I can tell you from experience that being fit and strong not only makes pregnancy easier but it also makes labor and delivery easier. I remember when we had our first I thought to myself “How could anyone push for that long without having any muscles?!” Not to mention staying fit during pregnancy makes it much easier to bounce back post pregnancy!
- Get enough rest – If you’re one of the unfortunate ones that suffers with insomnia (been there) I know how annoying it is to read that. However, if you’re not having trouble sleeping it’s highly encouraged to get as much rest as possible – at least the recommended 8-10 hours/night. You’re making a baby! Give yourself some time to just relax. Chances are once baby gets here you’ll have enough long nights to last you a lifetime 🙂
- Avoid exposure to toxins – Now is the time to steer clear of anything containing possibly dangerous substances. Always be sure to check your labels on household cleaning products, skincare/beauty products, food labels and obviously you want to avoid second hand smoke. For a full list of products/items you can and cannot use during pregnancy be sure to ask your Doctor. Although chances are if you’ve already gone for a visit they’ve given you plenty of paperwork to read over!
While this isn’t a complete list of ALL the ways you can maintain a healthy pregnancy it’s at least a good start! Looking for more pregnancy posts? Check here!
Share this “5 Tips For A Healthy Pregnancy & Healthy Pregnancy Smoothie Recipe” post on Pinterest via the images below!
†These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
* Based on a survey of pharmacists who recommend branded vitamins and supplements.