If you’ve ever been pregnant before you know there are first trimester must haves to get you through those difficult days! If you’ve never been pregnant, no sweat – I’m here to help 🙂 Oh and P.S. – if you’re pregnant CONGRATULATIONS!
I would never say that I’m an expert in parenting or pregnancy because honestly I’m just winging it myself. BUT – being that this is my third pregnancy I feel as though I can at least help by sharing what has worked for me.
In a few weeks I’ll also share with you my Second Trimester Essentials and later the 10 Things You Need To Survive Your Third Trimester – so be sure to check back!
Every pregnancy is it’s own. While one pregnancy may come with ease your next may prove to be more difficult. Not to say that’s always the case – it’s just that it can happen. I have personally had very similar pregnancies. Aside from being nauseous for shorter and longer durations (12 weeks the 1st one, 20 weeks the 2nd one and 16 weeks this one) I’ve had almost identical pregnancies.
Although each pregnancy may be different there are a few essentials that can definitely help to make the process more comfortable. Here are my 10 favorite first trimester must haves.
First Trimester Must Haves
- Ginger Pops – It’s no secret that nausea is one of the number one complaints during pregnancy, especially in the first trimester. Aside from being uncomfortable it’s also difficult because it makes it hard for a lot of people to conceal a pregnancy. I have personally always tried to keep my pregnancies a secret until I was past the 1st trimester but It can be so hard when you’re super nauseous! These Preggie Pop Drops are good to have stashed in your purse and to have ready at your night-table for when those moments kick in.
- Prenatal Vitamin with DHA – Your Dr. will give you the lowdown on prenatal vitamins and I’m certainly not here to give you medical advice. However, I’ve always been instructed to take a prenatal vitamin with DHA during all of my pregnancies. DHA aids in the proper growth of your babies brain and nervous system not only while you’re pregnant but for years to come. You can find more information about DHA and it’s benefits here.
- Leggings – Do I need to elaborate? LOL. But in all honesty you’ll want to get a good pair. Most people don’t feel pregnant “enough” during their first trimester to make the jump yet to maternity jeans. That’s where leggings come in 🙂 Aside from being comfortable (as we all know) they’re also super practical. While you’ll likely gain a few pounds and feel pretty bloated, it’s not uncommon for your body to not change THAT much in your first trimester, even though your pants are feeling snug. Leggings might be the better choice for you if you happen to be one of those people!
- Pregnancy Journal – This is my third pregnancy and I still have yet to learn that the important things we always want to remember are the first things to often slip our minds. When did the baby first kick? How long was I nauseous for? What foods did I love/hate? This journal will help you remember those memories that will shortly be forgotten once your bundle of joy gets here 🙂
- Water Bottle – When you’re pregnant you always need to make sure you’re hydrated. So many people don’t drink enough water and it is so easy to go 1/2 the day without realizing you haven’t even had a glass! Even before pregnancy these water bottles were my go-to. They don’t spill, (which is so hard to find!!!), they have the ounces marked down the side so you know how much water you’re taking in and they’re affordable. Plus, you can put them in the dishwasher – convenience is always important!
- Belly Oil – Preventing stretch marks is much easier then fixing them. We all know our bodies are stretched to the limits when you’re pregnant. There are so many different kinds of moisturizers, creams, oils, etc. for stretch marks but I have personally always loved this one by Belli Beauty. It’s paraben-free, cruelty-free and is made up of so many amazing ingredients like lavender oil, Gotu Kola and vitamin E. It helps ease itchiness and smells so good!
- Crackers – If you’ve been struck with nausea crackers might be your BFF. Sometimes it’s hard to even eat when you’re feeling nauseus but one thing you don’t want to do is deprive your body of the calories you need. Having some crackers nearby to help ease the queasiness is always a good idea.
- Floss – I know it probably sounds weird but if you haven’t been already you should really start flossing. Pregnancy hormones don’t just affect your mood and appetite but they also affect your gums! Hormones from pregnancy increase the blood flow to the area making it EXTRA sensitive. It’s very common for your gums to bleed so flossing your teeth from the start will help to ease the pain.
- Maternity Jeans – A lot of people don’t enjoy wearing jeans while pregnant and I totally understand. Often times you have to pull them up over…and over…and over… even when you buy the right size. But for those moments or events where you don’t think leggings are appropriate it’s good to have at least one pair in your arsenal!
- Loose Fitting Tops – As you start to feel your belly grow a bit you’ll want to invest in some looser fitting tops just out of sheer comfort. Even though you might not be showing yet you’ll still want to be comfortable! Finding some loose fitting tops that still fit your style will be helpful during the first trimester. Free People is one of my favorite brands because they have so many tops in this style that I would still wear even when not pregnant.
Although this list of first trimester must haves has worked for me 3 times now it may be a bit different for you depending on how you’re feeling.
I’d love to know if there are any other first trimester must haves that you think would be beneficial to this list. Drop a comment below and let me know if you have any!
For more pregnancy posts check here.