I’m officially the age where I REALLY REALLY need to take better care of my skin. I mean… I’ve been of that age for awhile now but we don’t need to harp on it 🙂 You might think I live under a rock but I literally JUST became aware that witch hazel benefits your skin in SO. MANY. WAYS.
What is Witch Hazel?
Witch Hazel is a natural ingredient that comes from a plant called Hamamelis Virginiana. It has an extensive list of benefits but most recently has been making waves for its pore and complexion benefits.
A Few Witch Hazel Benefits and Uses
- Relieves inflammation
- Prevents/treats acne
- Wards off infection
- Relieves Hemorrhoids
- Reduces minor bleeding
- Alleviates irritated skin
- Tones pores
- Removes dirt/oil from skin
- Reduces scars/stretch marks
- Soothe a sore throat
This is just a small list of witch hazel benefits and uses but you can see that many benefits noted are those related to skin. But how do you implement witch hazel into your skincare routine?
Unless you want to experiment making your own homemade witch hazel concoctions I highly suggest trying products that already contain the popular ingredient.
Witch Hazel Skincare Products
Everyone’s skin is different and therefore everyone has different needs when it comes to skincare. Luckily, there are tons of skincare products available that contain witch hazel, so no matter what type of skin you have you’re bound to find something that works. Based on reviews and availability, etc. here are some great skincare products that will give you all the witch hazel benefits you need.
- Thayer’s Alcohol Free Unscented Witch Hazel Toner – This toner has become the holy grail of witch hazel skincare products recently. It’s free of alcohol, parabens, gluten, artificial preservatives and propylene glycol. It’s also cruelty-free and certified organic. It has long been one of the best natural ways to remove excess oil/makeup AND it’s super affordable. One thing I want to mention is that while this product IS available on Amazon I would NOT recommend purchasing it there. I read reviews from customers that purchased this item only to find out through Thayer’s that there are copycats making a fake version and selling it as the real deal on Amazon. As much of a big fan as I am of Amazon I definitely wouldn’t want to see this happen to someone else. I’ve linked it at another retailer so that you can shop the REAL one!
- Biore Deep Cleansing Pore Strips – I personally tried these strips and loved them. There’s just something so exhilarating about pulling that strip off! I hadn’t used these in years so I was eager to see how they worked now that I’m in my 30’s and don’t really have any skin issues. I was surprised at how much gunk came off and how great I felt after! There’s only 6 strips in a box so it won’t get you very far, but I only use it every now and then so it’s perfect for my needs.
- Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment – Luckily I’m passed the age of pimples and breakouts but I certainly don’t forget them. A powerful spot treatment is always good to have on hand for when a pimple shows up (and don’t they always show up at the worst times?!). This one quickly reduces the redness, size and swelling of pimples while ridding skin of excess oil. The witch hazel helps to simultaneously soothe your skin while the salicylic acid helps to clear your pores.
- Que Bella Purifying Tea Tree & Witch Hazel Mud Mask – If you’re into masks for relaxation AND cleansing this is the product for you! The combination of Tea Tree and witch hazel extracts helps this mask to remove impurities from your skin while cleansing and removing excess oil. It’s paraben and dye-free and contains aloe for a rejuvenating and relaxing treatment. These are available as singles and also in a pack of 6 so if you like them you can save a couple bucks by purchasing the pack!
- Apple Cider Vinegar Face Toner Pads – If you’re lazy like me when when it comes to skincare these wipes might be the perfect way to ad witch hazel to your skincare routine! They’re made of 100% organic botanical ingredients, are noncomedogenic and contains no parabens.
Overall, there are many witch hazel benefits when it comes to not only skincare, but other ailments as well. Adding the ingredient to your skincare routine the right way can help keep your skin in the best shape possible. If you use witch hazel in your skincare routine I’d love to hear how you incorporate it and what products you use!
Other Uses Of Witch Hazel
1.) Anti-Inflammatory – Witch Hazel has anti-inflammatory properties, again taking us back to our skin. It is said to help with a wide range of conditions from psoriasis to eczema and acne.
2.) Sore Throat – Try a tea with witch hazel to help ease an inflamed and sore throat.
3.) Hemorrhoids – The thought of hemorrhoids makes me uncomfortable. They can be painful, itchy and just downright miserable. Since witch hazel is known to help with inflammation, it is said that it can be used to help treat hemorrhoids as they are basically just inflamed veins. Additionally, it can do the same for vericose veins.
4.) Stretch Marks – Helps to prevent large, dark stretch marks during pregnancy.
5.) House Cleaner – Combine with your favorite essential oils to create a safe and natural product to use throughout your home.
6.) Makeup Remover – Easily remove makeup with tighten your pores at the same time!
7.) Deoderant – Witch Hazel is a natural antiperspirant. Use this in place of your store bought deodorant if you’re looking for an eco-friendly and chemical-free solution.
8.) Tick Removal – Ticks don’t like witch hazel and will instantly release when they come in contact with it. Pour some on the tick in small increments and then extract the tick with tweezers as you normally would.
9.) Bug Bite Itch Relief – Since witch hazel has anti-inflammatory properties it helps to relieve the itching and burning that often comes along with bug bites.
10.) Diaper Rash – Witch hazel can help to alleviate diaper rash. If you prefer to use natural products over medicated creams, first try by applying a small amount to the irritated area.
Share this post on Pinterest via the image below